Jesse Beck, CFM
Jesse Beck is the Assistant City Engineer and GIS Manager for the City of Ponca City. He is also the City’s CRS coordinator and recently successfully defended the City’s status as a CRS Class 5 Community. Jesse started school at the University of Missouri–Rolla in Civil Engineering but completed a degree in Geology and Geophysics – the first in many interesting life choices. Fifteen years of working in the environmental realm exposed him to GIS work, which he fell in love with, and he finally took a full-time job managing Ponca City’s GIS. When the Assistant City Engineer job later became available, he saw a chance to set an old wrong to the right and, at age 41, relearned how to factor a polynomial and passed the FE exam.
His day-to-day work includes:
- Designing and managing road and drainage construction projects
- Reviewing proposed developments
- Addressing floodplain inquiries
- Seeing the varied demands of the CRS
- Maintaining the City’s GIS
- Discovering ways to integrate new data and share the system with City users
Jesse lives with his wife and three children in a 1905 home that constantly threatens improvement. In his “free” time, he enjoys woodworking, metalworking, falling off his mountain bike, tinkering with microcontrollers, and sporadic forays into writing novels.